Cervical cancer screening in Manitoba
CervixCheck is Manitoba's organized cervical cancer screening program. The goal of CervixCheck is to reduce the incidence of cervical cancer in the province. We operate a registry of all cervical cancer screening tests, create awareness about the importance of Pap tests, and work with health care professionals to improve access to cervical cancer screening services.
Most women age 21-69, who have ever been sexually active should have a regular Pap test every 3 years. Transgender males and females may also need regular Pap tests.
Did you know?
- Over 80% of people will be infected with HPV in their lifetime.
- HPV can cause abnormal changes on the cervix and cervical cancer.
- 1 in 4 women will have an abnormal Pap test in her lifetime.
- About 45 women are diagnosed with cervical cancer each year in Manitoba.
- Most people diagnosed with cervical cancer have not had a Pap test in five years or more.
- Regular Pap tests can prevent up to 80% of cervical cancer.